Saints Peter and Paul High School in Widnes was demolished in
order to sell the land to a real estate developer who subsequently
built a private housing estate of 3, 4 and 5 bedroomed houses.
The school was originally constructed in 1952 with the local community
paying a small contribution from their wage packets each week
to buy the bricks. It was to be knocked down to make way for a
real estate developer, an invasive construction of large private
houses that quickly became a contentious issue.