History of Tlanepantla
Tlanepantla is a heavily industrialized town located
to the north-west of Mexico City which politically corresponds to
the state of Mexico but is effectively a part of the mega metropolis
During colonial and pre-hispanic times, the town was a religiuos
centre. At the end of the 11th century, 12 nahuatl tribes who emigrated
from the central valley of Anahuac (valley of central Mexico) in
search for more and better lands founded the town of Teocalhueyacan.
At about the same time, Chichimeca tribes from northern Mexico also
arrived under the command of general Xolotl and established the
town of Tenayuca.
Both towns went into constant war until colonial times when Franciscan
monks founded the monastery of Corpus Christi and accomplished peace
between them. It was the monks who named the town Tlanepantla which
means "the land in between."
After Mexico's independence war in the 19th century, Tlanepantla
started to blossom as one of the most important towns in the state
of Mexico thanks in part to its proximity to the capital city.
During the 1940's triggered by the second world war Mexican industry
started to develop quickly and Tlanepantla became the centre of
this growth. By the 1950's the town was already the biggest industrial
site in all Latin America.
Today, Tlanepantla monopolizes almost all the heavy Mexican industry
and at the same time is responsible for most of the pollution of